LEAF counts on Volunteers- YOU help create LEAF! Volunteers work in exchange for their ticket. LEAF is lots of fun AND, you are committing to working your assigned shifts. Take pride in being a volunteer by reading all the info.
VOLUNTEER LOGISTICS – FAQs
There are NO deadlines! We will accept applications until all volunteer positions have been filled. We will announce on our website when we have filled all positions.
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER:
- APPLY ONLINE
- Click to Purchase Volunteer App or Star Volunteer App.
- Your application link is emailed to you within 48 hours. Fill out the online application, include deposit info, and submit. $25 Application Fee is nonrefundable
- “Regular Volunteer” work a total of 10 hours in exchange for a Weekend Ticket (Fri-Sun)
- “Volunteer Plus” work a total of 15 hours in exchange for a Weekend Plus Ticket (Thu-Sun)
- “Star Volunteer” work a total of 20 hours in exchange for a Weekend Plus Ticket (Thu-Sun) and a Culinary Passport. Star Volunteers must have been a previous volunteer and be in good standing.
- Note: Tent camping is included in your Volunteer ticket. Vehicle Camping is not included but may be purchased online or by calling the office. Regular Parking ($10 per car at check-in or in advance) is offsite at designated lots with shuttles or within walking distance. Pack light & simple.
- Make sure your email accepts email from Volunteers@theLEAF.org and doesn’t see it as spam.
- Once application is complete and submitted, you’ll receive a confirmation email.
- You are automatically accepted when we have your completed application and deposit (NOTE: If you use your credit card for your deposit your card will not be charged unless you are a no-show. No hold will be placed against your funds prior to that point.)
- Bring photo ID to Volunteer booth at festival to retrieve schedule card.
- Volunteers are 21 or older.
- Potential 18-21 yrs old volunteers are considered with a letter of recommendation from a teacher/employer/community leader/etc (not your parent) and two references (not your parent). Supporting documents should be emailed to Volunteers@theLEAF.org after applying to volunteer. You should send your 2 references with contact information and whomever is writing your letter of recommendation should send it with your name as the subject line of the email.
CONFIRMATION & SCHEDULES:
How do I know that I have been accepted as a volunteer?:
- ALL VOLUNTEERS 21 or older are automatically accepted when we receive completed application and deposit**. You should receive an email confirmation, which is your TICKET. Bring it to Drive-Thru check-in only DURING open hours.
- **Note- Applications will only be denied if you had previously not met LEAF requirements for any reason.
- Schedules! Yay! –Volunteer schedules are sent out on Friday afternoons starting mid March for May and Early September for October.
- Volunteers may or may NOT receive their *potential* schedule prior to the festival. Either way you will pick it up once you arrive at the festival.
- PLEASE NOTE: Schedules are SUBJECT to CHANGE. We do our best to meet your requests. PLEASE DO NOT contact the office for your shifts. Changes are made often
- If you have questions or have not heard from us at least 2 weeks before the festival please email Volunteers@theLEAF.org.
- A deposit fee, which is your ticket plus a no-show penalty, is required. Your deposit amount is based on your level of commitment:
- $200 10 Hour Regular Volunteer Commitment
- $220 15 Hour Volunteer Plus Commitment
- $260 20 Hour Star Volunteer Commitment
- If you don’t complete ALL of your scheduled volunteer hours, your deposit will be cashed/charged.
- Deposits cannot be a money order.
- If you don’t have a credit card or checking account, use a friend’s & put your name on the check.
- IMPORTANT: Drop your signed volunteer card at Volunteer Table once your shifts are completed. If you do not drop off your card before you leave festival, you must send your signed work card in the mail within one week. After 7 days, if we do NOT have your signed shift card your Deposit will be cashed/charge.
- All DEPOSIT CHECKS will be shredded after we receive your signed card.
- Drive Thru Check-In times are: Thurs: 6:00-10pm, Fri: 9am-11pm, Sat: 9am-11pm.*Please note Regular Volunteers can NOT check in on Thursday.
- Upon arrival, 1ST stop at drive-thru & check-in (during check-in times please-NOT EARLY) for ticket & parking pass.
- Parking fee per car is $10 at drive-thru and in advance.
- Once you are parked, drop off your camping gear, and come to VOLUNTEER STATION for your schedule cards and information.
BIG DEAL NOTES:
- NO CAMPING or RESERVING CAMPSPOTS BEFORE 4:00 pm ON THURSDAY.
- NO DOGS or pets allowed at anytime at LEAF. NO EXCEPTIONS. Woof.
- Volunteers MUST vacate the festival grounds by Sunday 7pm unless otherwise noted.
- ONLY STAR and Plus Voulunteers may volunteer on Thursday.
If you cannot fulfill your volunteer commitment, notify Volunteers@theLEAF.org ASAP. Cancellations without deposit penalty MUST BE AT LEAST 10 DAYS BEFORE THE FESTIVAL IN WRITING (email is good). After that all cancellations (even calling in sick) are considered a NO-SHOW & your Deposit Fee will be cashed. We suggest you find a reliable friend to replace YOU so you do not lose your deposit.
VOLUNTEER ROLE – FAQs
How many volunteers are accepted each year? 500 volunteers are accepted for each festival.
How does the scheduling happen? Schedules! Yay! Volunteers typically receive their schedules within 2 weeks of receiving their confirmation and ticket. IF you receive your confirmation and ticket and DO NOT receive a schedule within 2 weeks please check your SPAM folder — if it’s not there please email Volunteers@theLEAF.org–DO NOT call the office. Once you have been assigned a shift, please fulfill your commitment. If something does come up, please email us ASAP so that we can work to fill your shift! Our email is Volunteers@theLEAF.org.
Can volunteers request certain shifts? Yes. On the application form, identify job area and shift time preferences. We try hard to make sure everyone gets a shift they’ll enjoy. The sooner you apply the more likely you are to get requested shifts.
How early/late do volunteers have to work? During the Festival, shifts can begin as early as 7:30am and end as late as 2:30am. Before and after the Festival you can expect to work 9am to 6pm.
What are the different jobs? So many options- LEAF truly could not operate without volunteers! We need strong people for Set Up, Tear Down and Clean Up; good hosts for Hospitality; spicy kitchen help; and all around LEAF lovers to work in all the venues on the Festival grounds. For more detailed info, see Volunteer Roles and Oppotunities.
Where do I park? You park according to where you are staying, and when you are volunteering. If you are staying offsite, you will park in Day Parking at Owen Middle School starting Friday 4:30pm. After you check in, you will receive a parking pass ($10 on site and in advance) to park in a designated lot or you will have paid for a vehicle camping pass (“sleeping in or next to your car”) You can also bicycle to the festival.
When do I need to be there? Note WHEN you said you would be arriving and ready to work on your application. We use that to schedule you. Please plan to be on-site 60 minutes prior to the start time of your shift to start your check-in process.
Can my child accompany me on my shift? Unfortunately, no. It is important volunteers are focused first on their volunteer work and are fully present during their shift. Childcare is available at the Festival in Elfhaven ($).
Can I bring my dog or pets? No- woof. It is the rules of the festival grounds.
Do you ever accept volunteers who are younger than 21 years old? All volunteers interact in some way with the public. LEAF patrons are a happy and friendly bunch, but we do not want to subject young people to potentially stressful situations with others older or larger than themselves. We do, however, make a few exceptions to the age policy if: Volunteer is between 18-21 years of age and provides written referrals from a guardian, employer, or teacher. However, no one under the age of 18 can volunteer. Staff and Board youth may be part of Youth Vision Krewe.
What cases are deposit checks cashed or cards charged?
- You did not turn in your volunteer card.
- You turned in your volunteer card without sufficient signatures from you shift supervisor(s) for EACH and ALL SHIFTS.
- You turned in your volunteer card with bogus signatures.
- You did not show up to the festival.
Turn in your signed volunteer card once you have completed your shifts. If you do not drop off your card at the Volunteer tent before you leave the festival you must mail to LEAF, 377 Lake Eden Rd, Black Mtn, NC 28711 your signed work card in the mail within ONE WEEK (arrive by the following Sunday’s mail).
THANKS for volunteering AND taking the time to read! We hope we answered all of your FAQs, if not please call us at (828) 68-MUSIC [686-8742] or email Volunteers@theLEAF.org. See you at LEAF!