19 artists • 21 programs
9 schools • 7 centers/organizations
8 resident teaching artists • 11 visiting artists
LEAF Schools & Streets (LSS) has both IN-SCHOOL and AFTER-SCHOOL programs. We are in public, private, charter and home schools. LSS also works in public housing communities, community centers, group homes, juvenile detention facilities and more.
At the start of each academic year, LEAF Schools & Streets works to match available Resident Teaching Artists with community centers and after-school programs for year-round programming. Teaching Artists work with youth, teaching them their performing art through rich, hands-on learning experiences that culminate with an opportunity for youth to perform on-stage at LEAF, as well as other performance opportunities throughout their individual communities.
Before each festival, LEAF Schools & Streets sends out information to schools and community centers about available Visiting Teaching Artist Residencies. These are festival performers who work with youth 1 to 5 days before the festival, engaging them in learning about their specific art-form and culture, with the opportunity for youth to perform on-stage at LEAF.
In turn, youth gain an experience of a lifetime.
Parents and youth report a variety of responses including increased self-esteem, exposure to ethnicity and cultural awareness, confidence and a sense of our global community.
LEAF Schools & Streets Programs currently scheduled:
• Lisa Zahiya - Hip Hop Dance @ Burton Street Community Center •
• Christine Garvin - Dance at Shiloh Community Center •
• Imhotep - NOLA Drumline at Wesley Grant Southside Community Center •
• Gary Bradley & Katie Oaks - Brass and NOLA Jazz @ Delta House Life Development of Asheville, Inc. •
• Imhotep - African Drumming @ Delta House Life Development of Asheville, Inc. •
• Lisa Zahiya - Hip Hop Dance @ Deaverview Learning Center •
• Christine Garvin - Salsa Dance at Woodridge Learning Center •
• Nadirah Rahman - African Dance @ YMI Cultural Center •
• Anastasia Yarbrough - Singing @ Pisgah View Learning Center •
• Jonathan Santos - Songwriting @ William Randolph School •
Stay tuned for more photos!