March 1-3 at Dobra Tea
Save the Date: Benefit of Culture - August 8, 2013
Culture can be conveyed in so many different mediums from music, sports, food, fashion, art, and of course-dance! While America is the world’s “melting pot” …let’s be serious, Asheville, how much diversity is in your everyday life? This year, at the Benefit of Culture, it is all about the movement that brings us all together. Through the LEAF festival events and two outreach programs, LEAF Schools & Streets and LEAF International, this organization is on the forefront of bringing multicultural experiences to Buncombe County. Your support of this event will help hundreds of local kids experience worldly cultures and kids in other countries learn and preserve their own cultural traditions.
Proceeds will equally benefit LEAF Schools & Streets and LEAF International programs. Funding for LSS after-school programs in Burton St., Woodridge Learning Community and William Randolph School all need support for the 2012-2013 school year and will be directly impacted by your ticket purchase. On a global level, funds raised by the Benefit of Culture will provide teaching artist salaries, new instruments and tunings in LEAF International programs in Guatemala, Mexico, Bequia and Rwanda.
The Benefit of Culture World Dance Party was a HUGE success. We raised $13,394 to support and celebrate LEAF’s outreach programs! There were many new faces and plenty of repeat LEAFers. The event included performances by the LSS dancers at the Black Mountain Children’s home, Asheville City Schools Improv Group and The Delta House Jazz Group. Awesome silent auction prizes were really popular, such as the New Belgium bike that went for $925. Other great items included 12 for $20 raffle tickets and an hour of studio time from Echo Mountain that raised $500! The VIP reception was a great way to get the party started with costume/picture offerings. Over 70 costumes were checked out! BIG thanks to Denisa who lovingly donated her time, fun props, and costumes.
The Benefit of Culture is LEAF's big fundraiser for LEAF's Arts in Education outreach programs!
* LEAF | Schools & Streets Woodridge: Latin Salsa Dance with Christine Garvin
* LEAF | Schools & Streets Pisgah View: New Orleans Drum Line Rhythm & Dance with Imhotep
* LEAF | Schools & Streets at Black Mtn Home for Children: Hip Hop for Teen Gals with Lisa Zahiya
* LEAF International Tanzania: More kids now! Traditional music & dance classes, new instruments, and a camera.
* LEAF International Haiti: The program structure is now in place and ready- Haiti just take a bit longer to find the BEST partner. Funds purchase instruments, costumes and artist salaries. Boukman Eksperyman is helping design the program.
* LEAF International Bequia: Tuning of their Steel Pans. Last year BOC made it possibble for them to expand their local island concerts.